Monday, January 8, 2007

pastry chef wannabe

Yesterday, when Nikki was here, Joey and I decided to seriously torture her...with FOOD.  He made pasta with his family famous (and highly guarded secret recipe) sauce...mmmmmm.  He was going to make some focaccia for her to take home (ask and I'll post pic of that), but changed his mind later...too much.  Me being the creative baking nut, I couldn't decide between cupcakes,  banana muffins, pumpkin muffins, or chocolate chip cookies.  I ended up making these:

That's right...I made cupcakes.  But not just any cupcakes, hell no.  They're blue vanilla cupcakes, with either pink vanilla icing, or chocolate icing.  Yup--got the mini-crock out again...this time to dunk some cakeage. 

Oh man were they good.  So good in fact, I didn't stop there.  Made more chocolate covered bananas, but this time I thought before I did them...and bought skewers.  Made them bite-size too.  Mmmmm.  Nikki took some home, and they enjoyed them too.

By the way, Nancy asked me how I made the chocolate dip...simple!!!  Just take some chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet--any chip will probably work here), put them in a double boiler (or get a mini-crock like mine), add a little butter (the good kind!).  Watch it, stirring every once in a while, until fully melted.  If it doesn't look too happy--meaning it's just a blob or something--add some more butter, or a little sugar water (ratio--12 tsp sugar to 10 oz water) to it...until you like the consistency.  Dip away!  I learned the sugar water trick when I worked at Krispy Kreme...worked like a charm to thin it out a little...lol.

til next time...=)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Annie!  The tops of those chocolate muffins look so perfect...did you use the chocolate dip for that too?

    Nancy  (tongue hanging out)

    ReplyDelete