Monday, September 19, 2005

it's what's for dinner

This is for you, Krissy, since you asked...

This is what I made for dinner today...piggies, aka pigs in the blanket, aka golabki (Polish), aka halupki (Slovak), aka stuffed cabbage.  For those of you who have no clue, it's a dish that consists of hamburger and rice mixture wrapped up and a cabbage leaf, then cooked in a tomato sauce.  My mom showed me how to make them when I was about 14, and I try my damnest to carry on the tradition.  =)

I had to make a double batch today, because the last time I made them, they lasted only one day.  And that was with giving some the the mother-in-law.  Hmm...something I make that she actually likes...is that possible??? lol.  Anyway, they turned out good--so far I ate about 8 of them.  Yummmm.

til next time...=)

1 comment:

  1. Here in this part of PA we call them Halupki.  That is their true Polish name.  
    When we say pig-in-the-blanket here we mean an entirely different thing.  That is why I didn't know what you were having for dinner, Annie.  Pig-in-the-blanket to me growing up was a hot dog wrapped in a biscuit, lol.
    Speaking of Halupki, it is all the rage in this area of PA.  There are a lot of Polish here.  Halupki are sold at the church as fundraisers to make money for the school, the church, etc.  I have often been nudged into trying to buy them, but I don't like ground beef that much.  I guess I wouldn't make a good Polish person, lol.
    Annie, I want to commend you on being such a good cook to make those.  They look difficult to make.

    Krissy
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

     

    ReplyDelete