Sunday, August 27, 2006

it's not that interesting...

Your Weekend Assignment #126: What is the most interesting thing about where you live? "Thing" in this case would be a famous landmark, a famous current celebrity or historical personage from your home town or county, a notable celebration or sports event -- basically, anything that makes where you're from interesting an unique.

Extra Credit: Are there any books that feature your home town (or someplace nearby) in any way?

Actually, there's a few little thingies about Scranton. 

It got the "Electric City" name because Scranton was one of the first electrified trolley lines were established here in 1886.   As I've mentioned before, the TV show "The Office" is set here.  Also I have mentioned that there's the Steamtown National Historic Site right in the downtown, with trains that you can go in and ride on.

Another tidbit of info--there's also a coal mine tour right on the outskirts of town, too.  The one and only Houdini Museum is here.  One more thing...actor Jason Miller--you know, the young priest in "The Exorcist"--he was raised here, went to a school in my neighborhood, shot a movie here, and died of a heart attack in one of the local restaurants.

Wanna know more?  Here's a cool link--there's stuff even I didn't know about.

As far as books, well, I have no idea.  I'm researching though, and who knows what I'll find--I'll let you know.

til next time...=)

3 comments:

  1. Scranton, finally a town I've actually been too :-)  -Kelly  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/2006/08/26/where-i-live/1370

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know the song Winter Wonderland was supposedly written about Honesdale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa...  I hope that guy who died at the diner wasn't cursed by making that movie!!!  Scary!!!  Julie

    ReplyDelete