Thursday, June 9, 2005

the amusement park assignment

Weekend Assignment #63: Recount a noteable amusement park experience. No, it doesn't have to be about getting sick on that rollercoaster... although (heh) those usually are pretty good. It can be any sort of memorable moment: cute, scary, funny, nice, whatever.

Extra Credit: What's the scariest amusement park ride you've ever been on?

Oh my, what a coincidence...me and my friend* Nicky were just mentioning this the other day.  She was telling me about how she's taking her kids to Dorney this summer.  She said she hasn't been down there since "The Weekend From Hell". 

That refers to the time me and a bunch of friends went to Dorney Park in Allentown, PA for the weekend.  We decided to do this because we just graduated, and we all had different plans for the near future.  We drove down on Friday night...we almost got lost, but our human GPS (me) got us there ok.  We got a hotel room for the night, and everything went as planned up to that point.  Oh, what the next day had in store...

We were driving to the park the next morning, and the one car's muffler was hanging off.  We were already at the park, so we decided we would deal with that later.  Not too long after we went into the park, everyone started arguing with each other...over petty things.  I dunno--it made the day not so good.  That went on for most of the day.  When the park closed, we went to the cars...what a mess.  The one had the whole exhaust hanging off, and the other's transmission was down for the count.  That left us with no way to get home.  We eventually ended up getting a ride home from park security.  You'd think that's where the story ends, but no.

A few days later, there was news that a case of meningitis was found at the park over the weekend.  My employer, a summer camp, told me to get tested, so I did.  The hospital did a spinal tap, and failed to tell me to lay down for the rest of the day.  I didn't, and I had a headache for the next three days!!  Anyway, that's the tale of  "The WeekendFrom Hell".

As for the extra credit, I would have to say the scariest ride I've been on was a carousel.  I know what you're thinking, but the reason I was terrified was because the damn thing was creaking the whole time--I was just waiting for the thing to break or something.  It was at one of those really cheap carnivals...they only had about three rides, and they were all VERY old.  We were there only about 20 minutes, and had to go...it was sooo pathetic.

*see my old journal entries-- "some friend" parts 1 and 2

til next time...=)

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha, poor thing! I am here for you though, no more scary carnival rides or weekends from hell. :D

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too actually hate smaller rickety old rides.

    Gabreael
    http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't blame ya one bit those old caresols are worse especially given the fact that it could fall apart lol
                             Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounded like a horrible experience at Dorney Park!  I had one of those spinal taps too and sat up and got a terrible headache. -Krissy
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I could use a human GPS as I get lost in my own backyard. Sounds like you'd Hey I could use a human GPS as I get lost in my own backyard. Sounds like you'd been better off if you had never made it there. Oh those spinal taps are buggers, my love had one for our first child... even though she had asked NOT to get one. But I hear meningitis could be worse and even deadly, good thing no one in your gang contracted that.
    Hey I know those cheep, fly-by-night carnivals. When I was in college I used to hire out to help assemble the rides when a carnival would hit town. Now if you only knew MY mechanical abilities... THAT would be enough to give ya nightmares!

    Here is my weekend assignment if you get a spare mo.

    http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1216

    ReplyDelete