Thursday, June 16, 2005

dad's day assignment

Weekend Assignment #64: Tell us about a moment with your dad that serves as an example of one of his best qualities. That would be a personal moment between you and dad.

Extra Credit: Pictures, naturally -- perhaps from right about the time you were born.

I've been literally racking my brain for this assignment, and I haven't been coming up with much.  You see, my parents separated when I was 6, divorced when I was 8.  Dad wasn't there much when he lived with us, and it just got worse after he left.  I could probably write a book about how much he pissed me off, but that's not what this entry's about, now is it?  On with the assignment.

The only thing I can remember doing with him was driving out to his house in the country when I would go there for the weekends in the summer.  I mean, that was the only thing we did together.  Listening to country songs (which I hated), and hearing him sing them.  When we would get to the house on Friday, it was time for bed (he worked late).  In the morning, he would go about his outdoor work, while I would watch TV, play in the nearby woods, or go swimming in the neighbor's pool.  Then he would drive me home on Sunday.  That was about it, maybe with a church picnic thrown in sometimes. 

As for the extra credit, no can do.  Like I've said in previous entries,  no scanner...bummer.  He was a goofball when it came to getting his picture taken...maybe that's where I get it from.  Who knows.

P.S.--To all the dads out there...

Happy Dad's Day!!!

til next time...=)

4 comments:

  1. I can tell from your journal already that you mean for your children to have a better childhood than you did.  Kudos to you for that!!!!  Sorry things were not better for you growing up.

    http://journals.aol.com/Smjr43/Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. An honest entry.

    Take Care,

    Gabreael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we learn more from what our father's didn't do for us.....   http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/1114

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for an honest examination of fatherhood from your perspective. I have always strived to be the kind of father my children will remember and cherish the times with me. However, I know that there have been times when I've ignored my children, set them aside so I could pursue my own interests. Some things can never be changed, only linger in memories laced with regret.

    No scanner here either, bummer for sure.

    Here is my father's Day assignment if you have a chance please head on over and give it a read.
    Michael

    http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1225

    ReplyDelete