Saturday, December 10, 2005

my december challenge

Penny over at From Here To There... has this "December Challenge" where every day during the month, you tell of a tradition in your family and where it started.  (A little disclaimer:  I think it's a great idea, and I am in no way trying to put down what she's doing.)  I was inclined to participate, but since we have no real traditions in my family, and with the recent events that have been happening to my family, I came up with a little challenge of my own.  Wanna know what it is?

My December Challenge:  Try to go through one day without getting some sort of bad news, have some bad thing happen (even the slightest thing), or whatever.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to see all the bad things that happen--they just stand out so much.  So far this month, I'm not winning this.  Even with all the good things that happened yesterday, something was bound to happen.  And it did, in the form of embarrassment.  After work last night, I had to go to the store to pick up a few things.  When I got to the register, I gave the cashier my check card, telling her that she had to put it in manually...the strip's worn out already, and I've only had it about a month.  So she proceeds to do this, and it comes back that it was denied by the bank.  Twice.  Now I know there's money in there--my paycheck was direct deposited that morning.  And even if it wasn't, there was more than enough in there to cover six bucks, the amount of my purchase.  Anyway, I told the girl to hold my stuff, and I would run over to my bank's ATM machine, which was across the street.  So here I am, running (literally) over to the bank (how convenient, huh?) to get money out of the ATM.  I try using the card, and the damn machine spits it back out at me, saying it's a bad card.  I try it again, before I realize the damn magnetic strip is toast.  DUH.  Fuming, I run over to the house (1/2 block away) and grab all the spare change I have--three dollars.  I go back to the store, and get the essentials of my order, during which I feel about an inch tall.  GRRRRRR.

So what do you think?  What could go wrong today?  Who knows.

til next time...=)

2 comments:

  1. Chin up Missy!!!! I know this isn't your name.  Don't let life get you down.  Turn that frown upside down.  How about letting your challenge be "What good thing happened today." or
    Counting your blessings.  If you look hard enough you will find at least one a day....like the fact that you even found the three dollars and had enough for what you actually needed.  End of Sermon. Hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, do I know that feeling.  I couldn't use my atm card for two weeks.  Our credit union updated their system and never told us.  I was getting invalid pin number, insufficient funds every time I used it.  What a total nightmare.  When I called the CU, they said they had people working on it 24/7.  Would have been nice to tell us before we were all stuck with no money trying to pay for things.  I should try your challenge...lol.  I don't think I could do it.  Chris

    ReplyDelete