Thursday, December 8, 2005

my job blows...and snow

As if my job couldn't get any worse...this is gonna be a long 'un.

I was in a good mood this morning, until I got to work.  That's when I noticed the list of people who have to work Christmas was up.  Guess who's on there?  Like I need to tell you.  What's worse about that is not only do I have to work, but most likely I'll end up WALKING to and from work, since it's a Sunday and a holiday.  But I was over that pretty quick, since I kept thinking to myself, I'll probably get a noon start, so I'll at least be able to watch the kids open their presents.

Then I got called to a meeting not too long after I started.  There were only a few of us there, my manager, and the head manager of the office.  She told us that in January, some of us (30, to be exact...there's only about 60 here) were going to be transferred to another office, about 20 miles away.  How they were determining who was going was simple.  First, they would ask the people who came from that office if they wanted to go back.  Second, they would ask for volunteers to go there.  Last, and this (sarcasticly) is what made my day--they would go in reverse seniority to get the rest.  I was devastated with the last one, since I'm not high on that list (I'm like the 10th from the bottom).  I started crying towards the end of the meeting...as I was walking out, the head manager stopped me.  I told her of my situation, and she told me it wasn't her decision.  I understood that.  She also told me that if I couldn't do it, I should start looking for other employment.  Then she told me to take another 15 minutes, go out and have a smoke, and relax.  So I did.  Didn't really make me feel any better, but who cares...it was a free break.

When I came back in, I called Joey.  I thought he was going to have a cow.  Surprising to me, he was supportive and calmed me down.  I told him I was stupid for taking this job in the first place, and he replied by saying he's made mistakes in jobs too.  WOW.  I'm still shocked at that.  After he said that, he told me to calm down, relax, and have a good day.  You know what?  I, for the most part, did just that.  I was in a fairly good mood the rest of the day.

After work, I went over to the mall.  I had to get the kids an early Christmas present for tomorrow.  I searched that mall high and low...the toy store, Bon-Ton, Boscov's, and any other store I could think of that would have them.  As a last resort, I went into Shenk & Tittle, a sports store.  I looked around the store, feeling disappointed that I couldn't find what I wanted.  Just as I was about to walk out the door, there they were.  It was exactly what I was looking for--sleds!!  I got the last two, one red and one purple.  And that just made my day.  I even went to the dollar store and got two glittery bows with the rest of the cash I had on me.  When I got home, I gave them to the kids, and they were so happy!  Tomorrow they can use them--with all the snow we're getting, and they probably won't have school.  They're calling for 7-10" here.  Woohoo!  Too bad I have to go to work...no snow forts yet.

til next time...=)

4 comments:

  1. You know what? Speaking from recent experience if you read my journal.  After 7 years and being second in command, God decided it was time for me to change directions. He made it so that I had to quit.  Now I am working across the street and have been there one month already.  God will take care of you. Do not stress about this...put it into his hands. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the sleds were a big hit..  way to go .. mom!!!     That sucks about your job..   but.. it's nice to hear that you got some support from Joey.    Keep positive..  this could be happening for the best.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, I hate the way businesses always seem to screw with the people who keep them in business... I hope this works out for you.

    Christmas will be ok, too. Like you said, noon start...you'll have some time. It'll be good.

    Have a good day today, you earned it!

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont you just love it?  The answer to everything nowadays is you're free to hit the unemployment line.  Hope everything works out.  Chris

    ReplyDelete